We still have a ton of zucchini to use up. It’s so plentiful! This last week, we decided to use it to make zucchini and chicken sausage boats. It’s so easy and SOOO delicious. The recipe follows. Ingredients:
- 4 zucchini
- 1 pound of chicken sausage
- 1/2 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup part skim mozzarella
- 8 tsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/4 marinara sauce (we had some from the sauce made from our garden tomatoes last year)
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil.
2. Preheat oven to 400°. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and using a spoon or melon baller, scoop out flesh, leaving 1/4″ thick. Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini in small pieces and set aside.
3. Drop zucchini halves in boiling water for one minute. Remove. Pour 1/4 cup of the marinara sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 12″ baking dish and place the zucchini halves in the dish, cut side up.
4. Saute the chicken sausage until browned. Break it up into smaller pieces as it cooks. Set aside.
5. Heat in the saute pan. Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Cook on medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add chopped zucchini. Season with salt and pepper and cook about 2-3 minutes. Combine with sausage and cook a few more minutes.
6. Fill each hollowed zucchini with the sausage and onion mixture.
7. Top each boat with the remaining sauce, mozarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese.
8. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through